Sunday, November 28, 2010

What You See Is What You Get

Today is the first Sunday of Advent. When I get in the pulpit this morning, I think I will talk about being more observant during this season. I'm calling my sermon What You See, Is What You Get. Nothing profound in that title, I guess. But I do know how vulnerable we can be to focusing on the wrong things at this time of the year.

It's easy to get distracted by crowds and annoying people. We can be overly sensitive to the overkill on decorations and gift buying, as if somehow we are responsible for making Christmas happen. We can see the kinds of interpretations of the Christmas story that seem hokey and often gaudy. We can get annoyed by the TV commercials that attempt to convince people that the products being advertised are the things that will make Christmas special, and without it (whatever it is) Christmas will be nothing.

There was a song years ago that was called Looking at the World Through Rose-colored Glasses. It's corny, I admit, but the truth is that how we see things, the perspective we give them, what we choose to focus on, makes all the difference in how we feel inside and what we absorb spiritually for the good of our souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment