Friday, November 26, 2010

You're Already There...


I've been thinking about the fact that it's so easy to spend your life living in the past or looking to the future. Last week when I was walking along the tow path on the canal with our dog, Faye, I had one of those moments that the Japanese call a satori--an instant awakening.

What it was about was that I suddenly realized that for a lot of my life, I've been focusing on what's yet to come as if what is now is not quite "it." I don't know what causes that to happen--restlessness? obliviousness? Desire for something better? I actually don't know, but it is so easy to totally miss the essence of the present moment where life really exists. As John Lennon has said, "Life is what is happening while you're making other plans."

But I looked at Faye and the river and my surroundings and thought to myself that this is it--this is the life I've always thought about living in a kind of place that I've always wanted to live and living a healthy retirement with opportunities to do a lot of the things I've always dreamed of doing.

The truth is that there is always more to want, and wanting more is not necessarily a bad thing. For instance, I wouldn't mind having more income than just my social security and pension provide, and to some extent, I do through the part-time position I have. But I'm comfortable. My car died a couple of months ago, and at present, I haven't been able to replace it. I've been borrowing a car, trying to decide what I should do about that. But I'm comfortable. I would love to be able for Chris and me to travel more, and see some of the places that we've always wanted to see. But I'm comfortable.

Thanksgiving was yesterday, and I was determined to live it fully in the present moment with a deep sense of gratitude for all that I already have in so very many categories: family, friends, good health, a place to live that I love, opportunities to express myself through the things I love to do. And I did and I still do feel a deep sense of warmth and appreciation for this moment right now. As the Buddhists say, "Be here now."

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment