Thursday, November 1, 2018

A SEASON FOR LETTING GO

I took these pictures yesterday. Baldpate Mountain is showing its fall colors in its usual splendid way. And our maple trees are getting ready to drop their leaves for our annual golden-carpeted lawn. 
Actually, one of my current favorite singers, Carrie Newcomer, sings "Leave Don't Drop, They just let go." Sounds less fatalistic, more natural.

Every year I have suggested that we rake some of them up and spread them out over the living room floor. We haven't done that yet and we're not likely ever to do so for some very practical reasons. It's just a way of my expressing appreciation for "the beauty of the earth."🎜🎝

I watched a PBS series recently called "Autumnwatch New England." I thought it was great for a couple of reasons. One is the fact that New England is one of my favorite places to visit in any season of the year. The other is that I have been feeling the need to step aside from what's going on in our country at the moment, filled as it is with a constant state of turmoil and uncertainty, animosity and division.

By the way, "escape" (aka "step aside") does not always have a negative connotation, as if a person is being unrealistic or naive. As far as I'm concerned, It is very much a necessary ingredient into a healthy sense of well-being. 

One thing more, the season change, the time change, and the leaves letting go of the branches they've held onto all spring and summer makes me think that it's time for me also to let go of whatever I've been holding onto that has had any kind of negative influence in my view of life, and renew my hope, joy, and thanksgiving for just being alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment