Monday, June 30, 2014

Butterflies Are Free



     
Many of you know that the butterfly is one of my favorite references as a spiritual symbol. I have used the butterfly story countless times in funeral homilies, Easter sermons, and in a number of other settings. I suppose you could say that it has in some ways become a kind of signature piece of my ministry. That’s true to the extent that through the years people have given me posters, cards and stained glass window ornaments. Many times when I’m about to officiate at a funeral service I say to myself, “I won’t tell the butterfly story today because so many people have already heard it.” And, with or without my permission, the words come streaming out of my mouth.
     I first told it as a seminarian at a funeral service I did for a young family who lost their husband and father. The widow called me the next day and very excitedly told me that they had gone out to the cemetery to visit her husband’s grave. While they were standing there, holding hands and hugging one another, all of a sudden a butterfly emerged from the flowers and circled around them and flew off. She said that she believed that that was a sign from her husband that he was fine and that he was saying goodbye to them. She thanked me profusely for telling the story. It’s been with me ever since.
     So one day we were touring the ancient ruins of Rome. I was deeply touched by the experience and as we stood on the ancient road, I thought of the likes of the Apostle Paul, passing through the Forum on those very same stones perhaps and from prison writing the book of Romans to inspire people to not lose faith. It was a deep spiritual moment for me.
     Two days later we were at the Vatican standing in a portico of St. Peter’s Square. We were listening to Pope Francis give mass to literally thousands of people gathered there. One of the readers read from the book of Romans in English. Then I suddenly noticed that Chris was taking my picture, but I didn’t particularly know why until she showed me. At that moment a butterfly had landed on the bill of my hat. And yes, you could say that that wasn’t unusual except for the fact that there was nothing to attract a butterfly in that entire area of the Square—no flowers, no foliage—just thousands of people.
     Bottom line: I’m still thinking about that, although I guess the truth of it is that butterflies are free to be wherever they choose to be.



1 comment:

  1. I love this story!

    HOWEVER, I tell myself, maybe I should love it a little less, or less certainly. Maybe the butterfly did not stop to deliver a message. Maybe it just stopped to, well, poop.

    Boy, that sure changes the significance! :)

    ReplyDelete