Friday, December 6, 2013

Ready Or Not

Joy to the World
It's rainy today out here on the farm, but not unpleasantly so. As a matter of fact, it's a bit inspiring. I suppose that's why I'm sitting at the computer, writing. 

We're 19 days away from Christmas at this point and for all I know, it will happen just like it always has. Nobody has to do anything to bring it about, although I have no doubt that many people, if not most, probably think that it can only take place if they do their part.

I passed the Quaker Bridge Mall a few days ago and the lot was jammed packed with cars and still other people driving around to find a place to park--any place would do. And I thought to myself that I was glad I wasn't one of them. But, of course, that's my personal choice and outlook. Don't get me wrong: I'm not against shopping and gifts and decorations and all the other wonderful traditions of the season. Far from it! As a matter of fact, I think all of that adds a lot of joy to the holiday festivities. 

The main thing to keep in mind, though, is that Christmas will happen with or without any of us doing anything. 

Years ago I was on a train from Greenwich, CT to Grand Central Station. It was a few days after Christmas. Along about 125th Street, the train slowly made it's way through an area of high rise apartment buildings. As I looked out, I could see apartment windows decorated with meager strings of lights and star or a face of Santa or a snowman or even a Nativity.

My first thought was along the lines of "isn't that a shame! Those poor people probably didn't have much of a Christmas, and if they have children, they probably got very little, if anything at all." Then I suddenly realized that that was a pretty shallow point of view. How would I know what kind of Christmas they had? As a matter of fact, they may have had a wonderfully rich Christmas, maybe not materially, but spiritually and emotionally. And isn't that which counts most?

Maybe they were all snuggled in, drinking hot chocolate, singing "Rudolph" or "Silent Night" and feeling warm inside the steamy windows. Maybe they celebrated with thanksgiving because someone who was ill--a child, a mother or father or grandparent--was well again. Maybe they were just admiring that single string of lights, their eyes dazzled with hope and love.

No, we don't make Christmas happen. It will happen all by itself. We can add to it if we wish and keep the traditions that mean so much to us. But it will happen all by itself. And if we are alert enough we will find its richness in the simple story of shepherds and Magi and a father and a mother and a child lying in a manger.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Jack. I needed to be reminded of this. Peace to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete