Monday, May 6, 2013

Another one of Life's Realities


I haven't written in awhile--ever since we got back from a terrific vacation in the Florida Keys. It was a wonderful birthday present from my wife and I guess that in some ways I'm still under the spell. On the other hand, life's realities have caught up with me in a very attention-getting way. 

Sunday night before last, I was standing talking with a friend in the living room when, suddenly, I began slurring my words and the left side of my face began to sag (not to mention that I was drooling out of that side of my mouth--oh, never mind, I just mentioned it. Not a pretty image.) 

I was having what is commonly referred to as a TIA; i.e.- a mini-stroke, mild stroke, partial stroke...something like that. Chris had been on the front porch talking with another friend and came in looking panicked as the person to whom I was speaking also was panicked and they said, "Jack, sit down." 

That was followed by a call to 911, the arrival of the police, the EMT's, and paramedics. All the while, I had no recollection that anything had occurred other than having been talking with a friend about the beautiful spring weather. It apparently had lasted about 3-4 minutes.

Needless to say, I was taken to the hospital and spent the next few days there undergoing tests, taking medications and selecting food from the hospital menu. Happily I was released without any side effects from the
"stroke." It was, however, a definite warning sign to make sure that I take my meds and continue to follow up with the appropriate appointments with my doctors. My diet has been and is almost completely vegan (with some very minute variations there from time to time) so there's no worry along those lines. I'll just continue my same healthy eating plan.


The interesting thing from all of this is that rather than being discouraged or upset, the whole experience has made me feel very positive about life. I can't explain it, but I will say this: Another of our friends who was there that night was holding my hand and had her hand on my shoulder. She's a deeply spiritual woman, but definitely not in any kooky sort of way. She suddenly said to me, "Jack, there's an angel standing right next to you." Then she described to me what she saw . Bottom line: I absolutely believe her. And I have a very deep conviction that there's one standing right next to you, too.


3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're okay, Unc. Take care, we still need you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack, I've missed 'reading you'! Glad you are back! Take care of yourself. Peace, Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

    Over the last year or so I've started seeing an angel at the foot of our bed...Connie insists that our nine year old golden retriever (Chievous) is no angel. None are so blind...

    ReplyDelete