Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I Still Believe...



Well, I’m sitting at my desk, writing this on my birthday, reflecting on the years that have passed, wondering how I got here. For those of you who may not know, I just became a seventy year old and in many ways just as naïve as ever:

I still believe that laughter is the best medicine for curing what ails you emotionally.
I still believe in magic even though Penn and Teller have tried to convince us otherwise.
I still believe that it’s possible for dreams to come true, especially when it comes to love.
I still believe that finger painting is the most fun of all the art forms I’ve ever tried (though sadly I haven’t done it since kindergarten).
I still believe that most people are nice, and those who aren’t, are just afraid to be so.
I still believe that there’s such a thing as Heaven, but that we don’t have to wait to get there to be happy.
I still believe that taking a walk in the woods on a beautiful spring day is one of the most spiritual experiences you can have.
And finally (though not really), “All work and no play truly makes Jack a dull boy.”

Please take note of the picture included with this post and you will see an owl’s face in the sky looking down on me as I walk the labyrinth that we made in the field just after the hay was mowed a couple of years ago.  That’s just one of the many reasons why I still believe after all these years of walking this planet. “A very happy unbirthday to you,” (Alice In Wonderland, Walt Disney Productions, 1951)…unless, of course, it is your birthday, in which case, Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment